Sunday, September 26, 2010

Familiar Faces

How is it that I can move all the way across the country, to a place where I can feel so lonely at times, and manage to run into someone I already know? A familiar face!!! Along my drive out West, I kept saying (aloud) how big this world is & how it's unfortunate that someone can go his or her whole life without seeing and experiencing the beauty of this gigantuous world. On the other hand, how can this world be so big and yet so small at the same time? I'm realizing more & more each day that I am truly a small town girl. I love being around people I know & love. Of course, I love meeting new people as well. I just thoroughly enjoy going to the grocery store or the post office & running into someone I know & can talk to. I enjoy having conversations with people about more than just where I'm from or what I do for a living. I really miss getting to talk to people. It's way different now being in the real world, where all of my friends (including myself) have busy lives & have to make time to talk to one another. It's tough being away and not knowing what is going on in everyones' lives back home. It's tough going months without talking to my closest friends and then having to "catch up" in a matter of 30 minutes. Thank God for facebook stalking, lol. I think one thing I struggle with living far away is that I'm not around to see my friends, so I have to depend on being able to talk over the phone or internet. Nobody is a phone person. These days, I feel like I am a bother to call some people. I always get the messages of "I'll call you soon" which usually means when they have time to talk. I totally get it, though, because we are all busy. Everyone has husbands and families at home. Trust me, when I am with Jason I typically silence my phone and don't really care to talk to anybody else either. I understand, I really do. I just have to remember to keep putting myself in their shoes and not take it personally. It's still tough missing my friends. It's crazy to realize how times change. Life changes. People change (not for the worst, just change). Change is good. Life has changed me. I'm a fan of change. I sometimes, however, seem to have a slow adjustment to it. Maybe I should write some transition goals for myself.... maybe a picture schedule would help!?!? lol

Oh yeah.... in all that rambling, I forgot to mention the familiar face I ran into. Well, Layla and I decided to drive down to Huntington Beach (I wish Huntington, WV) on Friday to meet up with a fellow MUCD graduate student, Jenny Brown. She lives around L.A. and invited me to come down to a bonfire with her and some of her friends. I jumped on that opportunity, & luckily Layla was free and willing to make the trip with me. It was about a 4 1/2 hour drive (with Santa Barbara & L.A. traffic), but it was worth it. I'd never been to a bonfire on the beach, so this was a fun experience. Jenny introduced me to her friend, Pete, who was there visiting. Turns out, I already know Pete because he lived in my apartment complex my freshman year of college -right below me. Small world, indeed! We all ended up going out dancing after the bonfire. Good times.

In other events, we previously had a surprise mini housewarming party for our friend, Elizabeth. She moved here from Puerto Rico with nothing but a bag of clothes. Layla, Gabby, and I all have furnished apartments, but Elizabeth has been eating off of paper plates & slowly trying to buy furniture & things for her apartment. We thought we could help by getting her some of the little things she needs. She was grateful. We were happy to help. Also, it was a fun time with friends, tacos, & drinks at Layla's apartment in Shell Beach.

Oddly enough, in all this venting about how I miss seeing people I know... as I am sitting here in Starbucks writing, a lady I work with comes in. She is the IEP chair person (previously SLP) and already a mentor for me. I got to have a face-to-face conversation with someone today, yay! lol

I'm a little homesick today. I miss my boyfriend. I miss my family. I miss my friends. It kinda sucks knowing all of the things I'm missing out on back at home. I'll admit that I get a little jealous to see all of my friends or family get together, and I'm not there to join them. Boo! I get to do all kinds of new & fun things out here, I know, but it's not as enjoyable without the people I love to share it with. This traveling thing continues to be an eye-opening experience for me. I'm realizing more & more each day what the important things in life are. This is good for me. Life is good. Love is good. God is good. <3

Is it Thanksgiving yet??????? :)

2 comments:

  1. I miss you!!
    I gotta meet this man who has stole your heart! :)I understand how you feel though.. I don't see anybody either.. Dave is always away and my friends have other lives as well... you can call me anytime! glad everything is ok with you otherwise! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LISTEN! i called you the other day! you didn't call me back! I know its hard to be away, but you just have to look at all the good things you are doing and realize that you will be back home soon enough! (I assume that is where you are moving next!!)

    ReplyDelete